The steel rear bumper is a crucial component for any off-road vehicle meant for traveling. Apart from protecting the car against unexpected obstacles, it comes with specific areas where you can install a hi-jack. This feature enables you to lift your car easily and safely.
The power rear bumper offers several advantages, one of which is a greater approach angle compared to a regular bumper. This means that the power bumper allows for better clearance over obstacles. Additionally, the design of the bumper is such that it allows you to pass over objects without hitting the bumper.
Off-road car bumpers are typically made from durable and impact-resistant materials to withstand the rigors of off-road driving. This can include materials such as steel, aluminum, and other metals or alloys that can resist deformation or damage from impacts with obstacles such as fallen trees or rocks. By providing better clearance and protection for the undercarriage and other vulnerable parts of the vehicle, off-road bumpers can help improve the overall performance and durability of the vehicle in rough terrain.
Rear off-road bumper materials can be as follows:
- Steel. Steel is an incredibly strong material that has, compared to some other metals, little susceptibility to corrosion.
- Aluminum. The material is lighter than steel but inferior to it in strength. Another disadvantage of aluminum bumpers is their high price.
When looking to purchase an off-road rear bumper for your Toyota FJ Cruiser, it’s important to do your research to ensure that you get the best product for your needs. Not all off-road bumpers are created equal, and it can be difficult to know which features to look for to get the best value for your money.
Here we have compiled a shortlist of three of the best off-road rear bumpers for Toyota FJ Cruiser. While we know that it is not always an easy task to take on, we have done the hard work for you. The following are three of the best off-road rear bumpers for Toyota FJ Cruiser that are affordable and durable for your beloved 4 wheel drive.
#1. Smittybilt – Toyota FJ Cruiser Rear Off-Road Bumper
Our top pick for the best rear bumper for the Toyota FJ Cruiser is the Smittybilt rear bumper. This off-road bumper comes with bright driving and fog lights, and solid mount D-Rings that are welded both on the inside and outside. It is made of durable steel and fits 2007-2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser models. The bumper is coated with high-quality textured finish and comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Constructed from 3/16 inch cold rolled steel with 1/4 inch mounting plates
- Powder-coated in Smittybilt’s two-part matte black finish
- Comes standard with 7/8 inch solid D ring mounts
- The winch mounting system can hold up to a 16,500-pound winch
- Class III 10,000 lb rated receiver hitch
- Easy installation process
- Heavy-duty bumper
- Well worth the money
- Will make heads turn
- Requires no drilling
- Terrible instructions
#2. Body Armor – Toyota FJ Cruiser Steel Rear Bumper
The Body Armor rear bumper is a great option for off-road enthusiasts. It has a dual-coated powder coat finish that gives it a textured look, making it both durable and stylish. It is specifically designed for the 2007-2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser.
The center of the Body Armor is notched to accommodate clearance for a 35” tall tire when it is installed to the OEM tire mount. This bumper was constructed to provide the best protection no matter if you are on a trail, out on the highway, or cruising through town.
- Easy installation due to the 3 piece design
- Steel plate construction (5mm thick)
- Constructed from 3/16” cold rolled steel plate
- Pre-drilled for the backup sensors
- Simple bolt-on installation
- The finished product looks sharp once installed
- Tough and durable
- Decently priced
- Large step area to have greater access to the roof rack
- Is constructed to be compatible with aftermarket tow hitches
- The OEM hitch isn’t compatible with the Body Armor rear bumper
#3. ARB – Off-Road Bumper for Toyota FJ Cruiser
The ARB off-road rear bumper offers good protection of your car. Backed by a two-year warranty, this steel off-road rear bumper is custom-designed to fit your Toyota FJ Cruiser. The construction of this off-road steel bumper is super solid. In the event of a rear collision, there is excellent protection.
The black powder-coated finishes give it a rugged look that can withstand any element. This can also be color-coded to your vehicle if you so desire. To tow with your SUV, you can use it in combination with the ARB tow hitch.
Minor drilling may be needed for installation, however, instructions are straightforward. It is designed to fit with Toyota FJ Cruiser models 2007-2014.
- Constructed for steel for both durability and strength
- Powder-coated finish to help it withstand any element
- Holes are provided for the factory back up sensors
- Off-road terrain can be optimized with departure angles
- Comes with a D-ring recovery point
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
- Offers maximum rear protection
- Contain the most well-engineered mounting
- Great lines
- Will not fit factory hitches
- Weighs more than most bumpers do
- There are not any swing-out options
Off-road rear bumpers that are rugged will help better protect your Toyota FJ Cruiser while you are out on the trails. They will provide you with a safer off-road experience. It is not difficult to choose a best off-road rear bumper for your car. It is enough to clarify the compatibility with the vehicle and buy a part for your money.
We truly feel you will now be able to make an educated decision on which off-road rear bumper is for you. The Smittybuilt rear bumper for Toyota FJ Cruiser is our top pick as this bumper is easy to install and well worth the money.
Video: How To Install Rear Off-Road Bumper on Toyota FJ Cruiser
How much do the off-road bumpers weigh?
On average, an off-road bumper will weigh between 50 to 130 pounds. Your truck must be able to fully support the weight through the dampers and suspension. If these two can not support the weight, the nose of your Toyota FJ Cruiser will sag about ½ to 2 inches.
You must also take into consideration other accessories that you wish to add, such as a winch or spotlight. Any of these things will add to the weight, which could cause your SUV to sag even more. If there is a lot of weight upfront, the undercarriage can be damaged.
You might also notice that the shocks and springs go out sooner in your car when there is extra weight up in the front. You should also keep in mind that if you have extra weight on your Toyota FJ, and the front end sags, it will affect your driving and its performance. Gas mileage will not be as good. You may also notice braking is affected if there is too much weight.
Taking corners can also have a negative impact. Some even state that steering is harder. Various vehicles are much harder to handle when the weight is not within the recommended limits.
Do I have to drill into my frame to install an off-road bumper?
No, you do not need to drill into every off-road bumper. Some of the bumpers that are on the market today feature simple bolt-on assembly. There are other rear bumpers that only require minor drilling.
Best Shock Absorbers and Lift Kit for Toyota FJ Cruiser
Best Steel Front Bumper Options for Toyota FJ Cruiser